Thursday, February 17, 2011

Half Japanese - 1/2 Gentlemen/ Not Beasts


Half Japanese were right there when musical recording became something you could enjoy from the comfort of your bedroom. During the dawn of cassette sharing they were there, and they were as ballsy if not more ballsy than anyone else around. Seriously somewhere between This Heat and Teenage Jesus with Bruce Springsteen covers. The band includes the musical savant Jad Fair (who later went on to write one of the greatest/most simple songs of all time in my opinion) and his brother. All un-tuned guitars, dirty drums, tape loops, and saxophone.
When I say un-tuned, I mean it. Jad Fair said, "the only chord I need to know is the one in between my guitar and my amp." I think he can support that logic with this evidence.
Absolutely impeccable long-ass sprawling album. Prepare to be impressed. Link in comments.

1 comment: